What a soggy Sunday morning! Rain for days said noone ever. But what else is there to do make on a rainy day if not for muffins? Not just plain muffins mind you, I am talking about Strawberry Jam Muffins to nestle up with a steamy cup of tea. The rain has nothing on me I thought to myself as I prepped up to start baking. But I could be curled up in bed listening to the meditative raindrops on the plantain leaves. But then there would be no muffins either. Muffins won. Bed later.
Muffins are so easy to make its not even funny and the vast amount of muffin recipes out there is simply incredulous! Perhaps I will have to try Jollof muffins or Mashed Plantain muffins one of these days since that isnt quite common.
I have been curious for some time about how jams and other preserves are inserted into muffins. They look so pretty and colourful! All I had ever tried was savoury and plain muffins. Time to change up my game 💃.
To make Strawberry Jam Muffins, you need the following:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown or white sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp strawberry essence
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of strawberry jam
This makes 12 muffins.
- Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 2
2. In a bowl combine dry ingredients together ( flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, salt) and make a well in the center.
3. In another bowl combine wet ingredients together. So this will be the egg, vanilla extract, strawberry essence, milk and coconut oil.
4. Next you add the wet ingredients to the dry. Pour right in the centre of the well and gently fold in the flour. Dont mix for a long time or else your muffins will come out tough like an aged Fante Kenkey. 😬 A minute is enough to get the flour covered up.
5. As usual, lightly oil the muffin tins to prevent muffins from sticking to the sides. Pour batter halfway into each muffin tin and top with Strawberry Jam or any preservative you may have on hand.
6. Top the rest of the batter on top of the jam and head over to the oven and slide in onto the rack.
7. Bake for 25minutes.
8. Remove and place on a rack to cool. What next is totally up to you, whether you want to make a cup of tea or coffee. 🤔 But don't waste time deciding.
I love the simplicity and absolute unending deliciousness of these muffins. The Jam wasn't too sweet so it was perfectly balanced with the amount of sugar used. The Coconut oil was mildly delectable in the background without overwhelming the other ingredients. 👍🏾
I devoured 3 pieces with tea and all I am looking forward to now is 🛏 and a 📖.