Recipe for Vegan Yam Patties.
If you have an abundance of yam in your kitchen ( or not due to the incredible price of yam ) and you are looking for another way to use them then today is your lucky DAY!!
This recipe is perfect for vegans unlike the yam balls I made some time back which had sausages stuffed in them. It comes mixed with a delightful mix of veggies to balance out the carbs in the yam.
We got some yams from Togo recently so I used these instead of the local yams in Ghana. One thing you should know about this yam is that, it’s noticeably sweeter and softer than our local yams.
Ingredients You Will Need:
Six slices of peeled yam
1 large carrot (chopped)
2 medium-sized green pepper (chopped)
1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
1tbsp chopped garlic
1tbsp chopped chilli
1 tsps curry
1 cup of seasoned flour
1 tbsp of milk
1 tbsp of margarine
2 large egg yolks
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1 tsp of salt
- Boil yam in lightly salted water for 10 minutes.Take off and allow to cool
- Mash with fork or pestle to get lumps out. Like I said earlier, Togolese yam is so much softer that it almost becomes squishy. Add in the milk to prevent lumpy bits. Leave out to cool down
- Separate egg yolk from the whites. Beat the egg yolks and add to the cooled mashed yam to bind the yam for a strong hold.
- Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan and add curry spice.
- Saute the vegetables in the curried oil starting with onions and then the garlic. Allow the onions to caramelise.
- Add in carrots, chilli and green pepper. Lightly keep tossing it for about another 10 minutes. Add salt to flavour up things. Take off the fire and set aside to cool.
7. Once cooled, pour veggies into the mashed yam and mixing well
8. Do a single test with one shaped patty first to check for hold before shaping all.
9. Using a spoon, dish out a spoonful of the mix and shape into a circular yet flat shap . I had such a sticky situation on my hands. 😅
10. Lift out each shaped yam patty and dip into seasoned flour to cover each side well, dip next into beaten egg whites and then next into the breadcrumbs
11. Heat a pan of vegetable oil which must cover the base of the pan by almost an inch.
12. Drop in the patty and if it holds well in the heated oil, go ahead and fry the rest.
13. Looks yummy doesn't it? Absolutely! Enjoy as a snack on its own or with a dip of chilli sauce.