This recipe is a must-try for every sweet potato lover out there! No hype. If you are also looking to try something new and healthy for lunch or an early dinner then this sweet potato Shepherds pie is what I will recommend. I couldn't even believe how delicious this meal was using very simple and few pantry ingredients.
Shepherds Pie is traditionally an Irish dish made using pastry as the topping. I went with Sweet Potatoes but you can either use potatoes or yam or even cocoyam if you are feeling adventurous. I didn't buy anything new to make this meal and went with what I already had. Saved me alot too.
It's always a good idea to spice up your meats overnight for excellent flavor. But if time isn't on your hands then go for an hour at least. That's the amount of time I had with this ground beef today. Very little time. 😅I used onions, Indian Curry, local black pepper, thyme and a dash of salt to marinate the beef for about 45 minutes.
I won't keep you in suspense, just follow the instructions below to experience the same euphoria 😍😍.
For the minced meat filling
1 1/2 pound of minced beef
4 tomatoes chopped
2 medium sized onions chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 red bell pepper
Salt & Esuro Wisa ( local black pepper)
1 tsp red chilli flakes
For the Topping
1 large sweet potato
3 tbsps of coconut oil
5 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp salt
1. Peel sweet potatoes, chop up and add to boiling water for 8-10. Use a fork to check if well done. When it easily breaks up its cooked.
2. Whilst the sweet potatoes are on fire 🔥, get started on the minced beef sauce. Place a pan on fire and pour in 3 spoons of olive or coconut oil.
3. Add garlic to oil and stir for two minutes till garlic turns golden brown not dark brown.
4. Add chopped onions to garlic and stir. Allow onions to be transparent to become caramelized.
5. Add in minced beef.
6. The beef will be cooked once you don't see any pink spots in the meat. Add dry thyme , oregano, chopped tomatoes & bell peppers to meat. Sprinkle a dash of ground red chilli flakes. Pour in a cup of water and allow to cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven at this stage to gas mark 3.
7. Pour the water from the sweet potatoes and into a bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, mash up well to remove any chunks.
8. Add milk and coconut oil to bind the mix and also for a smoother texture.
9. Sprinkle in Salt and black pepper.
10. This is where I used a bit of ingenuity and added in a spoonful of the mashed sweet potato into the sauce to thicken it. 😃 Worked like magic 🌟.
11. Pour out sauce into a baking dish and layer the topping on top of it. use a fork to lightly brush across the top from one end to the other.
12. Bake for 20 minutes.
The pie was a lovely golden crusted top which crunched lightly at the touch of the knife. What a relaxing sensational sound. Music to the ears!
The minced beef sauce was a perfect balance of spiciness with the sweet taste of the mashed sweet potato. We had seconds after the first bite. Sooo good!!
Give this recipe a try and do let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you 👩🏾💻.