Finally! The waffle maker is in! You know how sometimes you wait for something so badly that after a while the excitement sort of wanes off? That was me the night I got my waffle maker which I had waited for almost 4 months to get. And now it is finally here. Here in my kitchen, sits a Hamilton Beach Flip Belgian Waffle Maker looking smugly at me, daring me to try all kinds of waffles I can muster.
This morning I calmly accepted the challenge and my first victory was this Banana & Oats Belgian Waffle. Honest-to-God, this was my very first homemade waffle using fresh ingredients and a few pantry items I already had in stock.
If you have some health goals for 2017, then try out this gluten-free waffle recipe ( getting a waffle maker will be a great start 😄) which is packed with banana, oats, eggs and cashew nuts. It totally satisfies your cravings for the sweet stuff yet is all natural goodness. I fell in 😍 when I flipped open the lid. It was perfecto! I can't wait to try out all kinds of new & exciting healthy waffle recipes. The Internet can do with a little more of those.
The ingredients are very simple and easy to get in any local supermarket or market in the city. To make the oats flour, simply use a spice mill or a hand blender to blend the oats into a fine powder..ta da..Oats flour!
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 8 mins
What You Need:
2/3 cup of All Purpose Corn Flour
1/2 cup of Quaker Oats
2 large bananas or 4 small ones
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
1/2 cup of cashew nuts
1 cup of milk
1. Mash bananas in a bowl using a fork to break up lumps.
2. Pour in eggs, milk, vanilla essence and vegetable oil, stir well to blend.
3. Add cinnamon, salt baking powder and sugar (if using) and stir through to give sugar some time to melt in.
4. Crush cashew nuts in a spice mortar or rough blend in a food processor for 5 seconds and pour into the mix.
5. Pour both flours (corn & oats) into the wet ingredients.
6. Pre-heat your waffle maker. Depending on the brand you use, wait for the green light and pour the batter into the grill. Allow batter to spread out but make sure it doesn’t overflow. That would be very messy.
7. Waffles should be done between 5-8minutes. YASS!
8. Enjoy with slices of banana, honey, nutella, more crushed cashew nuts or just any fruit you may have on hand.
So divinely tasty! The Hamilton Beach Waffle Maker did an excellent job. I turned up the browning control a bit to get an extra crunch in and still savor the fluffiness within. But you can set it to a minimum too if you like the light golden brown look. For some reason I cant explain, I have always felt that a pastry which isn’t browned enough isn’t cooked well. Like my Mother would say, ‘ebe ko’😁.
I cant wait to try another healthy waffle idea using local ingredients and flavors. Maybe sweet potato & bacon waffles?😜
What kind of waffles have you made so far? Please share in the comments below.
Love this recipe? Please do subscribe to our monthly newsletter for fresh updates to the blog.